Sunday, January 16, 2011

What's in your goulash?

An online friend of mine inspired me to make some goulash today.  However, in our discussion about it, we discovered that goulash means different things to different people.

To me, goulash is ground beef, macaroni noodles, tomatoes, and maybe onions.  I'm pretty sure that when Mom makes it, she squirts ketchup & mustard straight in the pan.  After chatting with my online friends, that is not the only method, apparently.  What's in your goulash (no, this is not a credit card commercial)?

So, I had some lean ground beef in the fridge, just waiting to be used.  So, I threw it in a pan with a couple big spoonfuls of minced garlic.  While it cooked, I chopped up about half an onion (all I had), a red bell pepper and a green bell pepper.  As the meat was cooking, I threw these veggies in.  Then I scrounged in the freezer and found a little frozen corn.  In it went.  Then I dumped in a full can of diced tomatoes, and about 3/4 can of tomato sauce (leftover from the recipe I'd just prepped and put in the crockpot for tonight). As it started to simmer, I tossed in about a cup or so of macaroni noodles.  However much was left in that bag in my pantry!

Then, for mom, I squirted in some ketchup and mustard.  And tossed in a little Wooster Sire Sauce.

I let it simmer, added a little water when needed.  And it made SO MUCH FOOD.  I had to switch to my big pan halfway thru this process!  I dished it up into my favorite green Fiesta Ware bowl, and crumbled some goat cheese on top.  Mix it up, and mmmmmmmmmmmm.  So good.  It will be great as a leftover!  And my hubby won't touch it because of all the veggies.  Hee-hee!

No comments:

Post a Comment